Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Woodstove Fence Mortise and Tenon Joints

Wood Plans Woodworking Carpentry Download


The fence work continues...

On to the mortise and tenon joints!

My tool kit for this part included: my new Gramercy holdfasts (thanks sweetie!), mallet, big-boy mortising chisel (almost silly large), smaller chisel for cleaning up the bottom of the mortises, mortise gauge, square, folding rule, knife and my LN dovetail saw. Heres a shot of the bench top after several hours of work.



The piece in the center is a combination layout gauge and M&T tester for this project. I tried a new technique for chopping the mortises that I read about a while ago over at Peter Follansbees blog - it worked great. A little too great maybe, as I really got into a groove with the mortising - so much so I forgot to take pictures! About all I can offer is a shot of the tester confirming that the mortises are the correct size and depth.



I did remember to take some shots of the tenons being marked and cut.









A final test, and thats one more done...out of 50 total...sigh.




TedsWoodworking Plans and Projects

No comments:

Post a Comment