Monday, February 24, 2014

Campaign Chest re do!

Wood Plans Woodworking Carpentry Download
Up until last month, I wasnt even aware of what campaign furniture was. I swear, Im always the last one to get on the "trend" train. The first campaign chest I found was a Baker and I got a killer deal. Neither the seller nor myself had a clue of what it was.  Im only halfway done with that one.  This black one I found off of CL. The seller said she got it at an auction and that it was a prop in a movie.
She had planned on redoing it, but didnt have the time. I paid a little more than I wanted, but these pieces are so hard to come by!   Id put this piece in the 1930s to 40s range. It was pretty beat up too. Someone had obviously painted it black (or maybe thats how it came).



As I said, the paint was in poor condition, was glossy and I didnt know if it was oil based, so I decided to sand it off.  I didnt take any during pictures. After sanding, I gave it a coat of black chalk paint and fine sanded it so it was nice and smooth.  I knew I wanted some of the black to peek through. I would have loved to give it a coat of a nice glossy deep color, but the wood just wasnt in good enough shape. Glossy paint shows every ding and dent. So, while I wasnt all that keen on giving this piece 
a distressed look, I didnt have much choice. 

I think everyone in blog land has seen the emerald green dresser on google images.
I love the color. 

And I think on these types of pieces, a strong color is the way to go. Somehow, painting this a light pastel or gray just didnt feel right.
This was my inspiration piece. 
My piece is older and smaller, but I think I nailed the same color green. 

 I made my own chalk paint again. Some Behr color that I got in a sample pot was just enough for the entire piece.  I did a lot of fine sanding in between and after the final coat. 
    I used a burnishing paste and then went over that with both a dark and light wax. 
         The hardware took forever and a day to polish! 

 I have no place in my house to stage this piece. Maybe Ill try lugging it outside. Ideally, I see this piece
in a somewhat modern type house. Maybe used in an entry way. I think it would make a killer bathroom vanity as well.  

                                                The flash just wipes out the color and detail.

 The other keyhole cover was missing. :(

I used my fave peacock fabric to line the drawer and bottom shelf. I love all the colors in this
fabric! If I could, I would do my whole house in them!


I forgot I had my beautiful peacock photograph in the other room! I thought the greens in the photo
would go perfectly w/the chest. I cant get enough of blues and greens! Too bad the color
of the wall in the photo is so yech! It really isnt that bad in person. I would definitely paint the room around this chest if I was going to keep it! 




Linking up at all my fave parties listed at the bottom, plus:
"Transformation Thursday at the Shabby Chic Cottage"


TedsWoodworking Plans and Projects

No comments:

Post a Comment