Thursday, March 6, 2014

TV stand the front legs

Wood Plans Woodworking Carpentry Download
I havent had time to examine my fridge and figure out where and how I can add some coolant. Thanks for everyone who had suggestions on how I can cool my beer. Actually, one of the best ideas is just to get a box and an ice brick. I think Ill keep scouring Craigslist for free mini-fridges, like they have in hotel rooms. Then I gotta my old one up to the dump and pay a $40 disposal fee. At least thats what they charged about five years ago; I suspect its more now.

But on to more important matters. I spent the weekend working on the two front legs of the TV stand. (For reasons I cant really identify, I am going to stop calling it an entertainment center.) Its a good thing I dont do this for a living because I would never reach deadlines. I cant believe all I accomplished over the course of two days was two legs.

Well here they are:



They sort of look a combination of the Chrysler Building and Golden Gate Bridge. Ive always been intrigued by Art Deco style, even though Im not completely sure how to define it. I used MDF for these because I plan on painting them. Its just a one inch core surrounded by layers of 1/4" MDF.

Im a little stumped on how to securely attach them to the lower shelf. They are pretty heavy and could easily become weak links and break off when the unit is moved. Im thinking about joining it all together with a couple of thick dowels. The trick will be getting it all lined up. 

I also went to Target and priced some TV wall mount brackets. Holy cow, the least expensive unit was about sixty bucks. I dont see any reason why I cant just install some metal strips behind the upright. Id rather spend a few bucks than sixty. Well see.

And my final concern to ponder this week is if the entire stand will be stable on just three legs. I think it will as I tend to overbuild these things.

TedsWoodworking Plans and Projects

No comments:

Post a Comment